Apostolis?Barbousas was a resident at St Basil's and died on Sunday at The Northern hospital.(Supplied: Nikolas Barbousas)ShareFacebookTwitterArticle share optionsShare this onFacebookTwitterLinkedInSend this byEmailMessengerCopy linkWhatsAppPrint contentPrint with images and other mediaPrint text onlyPrintCancelThe son of a resident at St Basil's Homes for the Aged has described the "extremely awful" situation of being told his father was safe and in his room when in reality he was in hospital with days to live.When the outbreak at St Basil's, at Fawkner, in Melbourne's north, was first reported two weeks ago, Nikolas Barbousas was told his father was safe and would be tested for coronavirus."At the time, my dad's test was negative," Nikolas said.His 79-year-old father Apostolis Barbousas was tested again but the results were inconclusive."I was told these things happen and he would be retested in the upcoming days. But we never got the results."In the meantime, he said, the ability for Mr Barbousas to talk with anyone at the home was "almost impossible"."I was at my wit's end. No one was getting information and the information that came through was incorrect," he said.Aspen Medical took over the home last week after all staff were stood down."That gave us all hope that the communication would be much greater," Nikolas said.But if anything, he said, it just got worse.Son found out father was 'fighting for his life' after being told he was fineNikolas said calls to the home rang out and when someone did answer he was told they were too busy to put him through to his father's room.Last Friday, Nikolas received a call from the home and was told his father was isolating in his room. Apostolis Barbousas with his sons George (left) and Nikolas Barbousas (right).(Supplied: Nikolas Barbousas)About 24 hours later he received another call and was told the same thing."I was told my dad's condition had not changed and he was fine."But he wasn't. Apostolis was in hospital at The Northern.He had about a day to live."I had a call about six hours earlier to the second call from the home telling me my dad was fighting for his life," Nikolas said.When the woman on the phone from St Basil's told Mr Barbousas his father was safe and well, he exploded."I asked whether she was actually at St Basil's and she said she was [from St Basil's in] South Australia," he said.Nikolas later found out his father was admitted to hospital on Friday because he had had a fall."Probably because he was so ill, he lost his balance and fell down," Nikolas said.'He had a smile on his face': Family says goodbyes over video callOn Saturday morning, a doctor from The Northern told Nikolas his father had low blood pressure, an irregular heartbeat, a fever, and extremely low oxygen levels."He had come from a place where it was infested with coronavirus," he said."They did a swab and we found out he was positive to COVID." Apostolis Barbousas's son said the 79-year-old had "many years ahead of him".(Supplied: Nikolas Barbousas)The Barbousas family were grateful they were able to video call Apostolis on Saturday night."He had a smile on his face," Nikolas said. "We had our goodbyes."On Sunday, the day of Nikolas's daughter's birthday, Apostolis passed away from the virus."We were told he was safe. Well away from the coronavirus outbreak and he died," he said."I don't understand how these people were said to be safe."Investigation flagged after 'concern, fear and passion in the community'Federal Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck said he hoped to have an investigation into the outbreak at St Basil's aged care home while people still have fresh and accurate memories of how things were handled."There's a lot of concern, fear and passion in the community about it," Senator Colbeck told ABC Radio Melbourne. "I was on a Zoom meeting with [St Basil's] families on Sunday night and there were quite a few questions and those people deserve to have their questions answered." Concerns about communication and the handling of the crisis at St Basil's have been raised by other families.(ABC News)He said his department was working to get an investigation running as soon as possible, but the details of how it would be run were yet to be determined.The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commissioner has also flagged its concern over the response by St Basil's to the outbreak and has barred it from accepting any new residents."These concerns included ongoing challenges apparent in implementing an effective outbreak response in a timely manner, and in fulfilling responsibilities to provide timely communication relating to the care of individual residents," the commission said in a statement.Read more about the coronavirus outbreak in Victoria:With almost 300 COVID cases, why are meatworks at the centre of so many?clusters?Victoria's coronavirus aged care situation is worsening. Here's what's being done to halt the?crisis'We're all suffering': Families' anguish as aged care outbreak?growsAspen executive chairman Glenn Keys told RN Breakfast on Wednesday that criticism was unhelpful and he was confident they have been working hard to make St Basil's safe.Mr Keys said the outbreak had "quite a hold" in the home by the time about 30 Aspen staff showed up last week.Mr Keys said about six nurses were recent graduates from overseas who were registered nurses in Australia."People who are willing to put themselves on the front line and willing to commit,
apple developer enterprise account for rent
providing apple enterprise developer accounts for rent, rent your own enterprise account for app signing. with high quality, stable performance and affordable price.